Hi, my name is Oliver.
I’m a web developer and graphic designer.
I use WordPress and other modern web development tools to build websites.
A little about me.
Yup, that’s me, playing video games on my Atari 800. I loved that computer. I started programming on it – BASIC text adventures that I forced my parents to play. It was around 1981 when it first arrived in my life, and as soon as I saw what computers could do, I was hooked. I lived, breathed, thought, and talked about computers day in and out. Then came the internet and mobile devices. Technology’s not slowing down and I love it more than ever.
These days I do more graphic design and web coding than gaming, but I’m sure that on occasion, you will find me with the same wide-eyed look of glee you see there on my face. Typically it’s after I’ve learned something new or found something on the web that delights me.
What makes me stand out?
If I don’t know how to do it, I’ll learn it. Quickly.
I love the web and am constantly working to improve my skills and knowledge of it.
I enjoy figuring things out and making stuff work better.
I’m a geek, but I also like people. Does that make me an anomaly? Perhaps.
Frontend Engineer, WebDevStudios
September 2019 – Present
WordPress Web Developer, TrackTik
January 2019 – September 2019
I was responsible for building and maintaining the corporate website and ensuring its function and performance. I built it using WordPress, ACF and industry best-practices. Additionally, I ensured that Marketo and Salesforce and Google Analytics worked well, sharing data and helping our sales team to leverage that data.
Web Developer, Stradigi AI
January 2018 – January 2019
- Develop websites using WordPress utlizing:
- Advanced Custom Fields
- Custom Post Types
- Adhere to best practices and commenting for code longevity and reuse
- Optimize the Stradigi AI website for SEO and speed
- Use Google Tag Manager and Analytics to analyze and constantly improve the website
- Work on Single-page Applications using Vue.js
- We use Agile methodology to deliver better code, faster
- Use Git for version control (Bitbucket)
- Fix website bugs
Front-end Developer, Technology Evaluation Centers
October 2017 – January 2018
- Develop CSS (SASS), HTML, XML Transformations and layout for pages using Kentico CMS
- Fix website bugs
- Plan and strategize future site redesign
Web Developer / Designer, Thompson Rivers University
As the web developer/designer for Marketing and Communications at Thompson Rivers University, my job has a variety of functions:
- Mockup, strategize and design all pages and web elements, using atomic design principles
- Create engaging and user-friendly UX and UI to help our audience navigate the website
- Write PHP to facilitate desired featured across the site, for geolocation, RSS feed import, ICS import, etc
- Design new page templates to complement and enhance the TRU brand
- Created landing pages and microsites that effectively convey our message via marketing campaigns
- Update and maintain design and writing standards for the TRU website
- Design, implement and maintain the WordPress templates for all of the News sites at TRU
- Promote the TRU brand
- Come up with magical solutions to impossible problems
Graphic Designer, Thompson Rivers University
- Applied current industry standards to develop graphics and context-appropriate images for a range of educational uses
- Used iterative design, user testing, and collaborative media production expertise to create a variety of deliverables that support Media Team projects
- Worked collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to maintain consistency and branding across materials within TRU guidelines
Web Developer / Graphic Designer, Mount Royal University
- Oversaw the design, layout and structure of the Library’s new site
- Designed and coded the Library’s mobile site, incorporating the online catalogue and off-site database searches
- Built search engine to enable a searchable database of research tools
- Provided maintenance and upkeep of the Library’s website
- Developed an ongoing usability study to support best practices and to determine potential usability improvements
- Managed the Summer Sandbox program, supervising students
Client Support Technician, Mount Royal University
- Responded to incoming service requests promptly
- Efficiently managed my time to assist clients with hardware and software issues
- Serviced and supported computers, printers, related hardware
- Supported 800 staff and 1000 faculty, both in-person and over the phone, while working on a team of 7
- Tracked issues with a helpdesk system, following up on outstanding tickets to provide excellent customer support
Computer Engineering Technology Diploma
1996 – 1998, Southern Alberta Institute of Technology, Calgary, AB
This is where I learned how to solve problems in technology.
Bachelor of Arts, General Studies
1991 – 1994, Okanagan University College
I completed 3 years and decided I really should be in computers instead.